Resident workers - Qualifications
47.2% of the resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) in Cardinia Shire have qualifications, compared to 71.2% for Other Services.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for Cardinia Shire's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Other Services%||Number||%||Other Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||183||8.0||7.9||87||4.8||6.8||+96||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||220||9.7||10.1||103||5.6||8.7||+117||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||23||1.0||1.1||20||1.1||1.0||+3||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||585||25.7||50.6||434||23.8||47.4||+151||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||64||2.8||1.5||28||1.5||2.3||+36||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||62||2.7||2.4||103||5.6||2.6||-41||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) in Cardinia Shire in 2016 compared to Other Services shows that there was a lower proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 47.2% of the resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) held educational qualifications, and 50.1% had no qualifications, compared with 71.2% and 26.4% respectively for Other Services.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) of Cardinia Shire and Other Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) with No qualifications (50.1% compared to 26.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) with Certificate Level, nfds (2.8% compared to 1.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) with Certificate III & IV Levels (25.7% compared to 50.6%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Certificate III & IV Levels (+151 people )
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+117 people )
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+96 people )
- No qualifications (+91 people )