Resident workers - Method of travel to work - All industries
Within Cardinia Shire, there is a higher proportion of resident All industries workers using public transport to get to work than the Arts and Recreation Services workforce.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport Cardinia Shire's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with resident place of work for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Arts and Recreation Services%||Number||%||Arts and Recreation Services%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||31,882||70.9||64.9||25,129||69.3||60.7||+6,753|
|Car, as passenger||1,831||4.1||7.4||1,693||4.7||7.8||+138|
|Other - multiple methods||442||1.0||0.7||357||1.0||0.6||+85|
|Worked at home||2,202||4.9||5.9||1,833||5.1||7.9||+369|
|Did not go to work||4,243||9.4||15.3||3,511||9.7||15.5||+732|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 2,532 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in Cardinia Shire, compared with 34,382 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in Cardinia Shire shows that 5.6% used public transport, while 76.5% used a private vehicle, compared with 3.6% and 72.7% respectively in Arts and Recreation Services within Cardinia Shire.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers in Cardinia Shire and the Arts and Recreation Services workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers who travelled by car, as driver (70.9% compared to 64.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who did not go to work (9.4% compared to 15.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who travelled by car, as passenger (4.1% compared to 7.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers who travelled by train (5.2% compared to 3.1%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the resident workers in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+6,753 resident workers)
- Did not go to work (+732 resident workers)
- Train (+688 resident workers)
- Worked at home (+369 resident workers)