Resident workers - Method of travel to work
The resident workers in Cardinia Shire have a lower proportion of people using public transport to get to work than Victoria.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport Cardinia Shire's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work and for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Victoria %||Number||%||Victoria %||2011 to 2016|
|Car, as driver||31,882||70.9||61.8||25,129||69.3||61.4||+6,753||2001|
|Car, as passenger||1,831||4.1||4.0||1,693||4.7||4.6||+138||2002|
|Other - multiple methods||442||1.0||1.2||357||1.0||1.1||+85||2017|
|Worked at home||2,202||4.9||4.6||1,833||5.1||4.3||+369||2019|
|Did not go to work||4,243||9.4||9.3||3,511||9.7||10.1||+732||2020|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
In 2016, there were 2,521 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in Cardinia Shire, compared with 34,258 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in Cardinia Shire shows that 5.6% used public transport, while 76.2% used a private vehicle, compared with 10.6% and 68.3% respectively in Victoria.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers of Cardinia Shire and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Car, as driver (70.9% compared to 61.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Train (5.2% compared to 9.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Walked only (1.3% compared to 3.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Tram (0.0% compared to 1.9%)
The largest changes in the method of travel of work of the resident workers in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+6,753 people)
- Did not go to work (+732 people)
- Train (+688 people)
- Worked at home (+369 people)