43.1% of All industries local workers in Cardinia Shire are employed part-time and 54.7% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Cardinia Shire across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Cardinia Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||City of Casey%||Number||%||City of Casey%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||3,707||16.0||16.0||2,922||15.8||15.2||+785|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,766||11.9||12.0||2,004||10.8||11.6||+762|
|25 hours - 34 hours||2,807||12.1||12.9||2,150||11.6||11.3||+657|
|35 hours - 39 hours||3,639||15.7||17.7||2,572||13.9||16.7||+1,067|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,971||8.5||8.1||1,660||9.0||8.7||+311|
|49 hours or more||3,290||14.2||12.2||3,156||17.1||13.8||+134|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in Cardinia Shire in 2016 compared to City of Casey within Cardinia Shire shows that there was a lower proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 43.1% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 54.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 43.9% and 54.1% respectively for City of Casey within Cardinia Shire.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in Cardinia Shire and City of Casey were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.1% compared to 12.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.7% compared to 17.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.5% compared to 8.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (14.2% compared to 12.2%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,067 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+785 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+762 local workers)
- 40 hours (+759 local workers)