In Cardinia Shire, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Education and Training.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cardinia Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Education and Training||Number||%||Education and Training||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||4,381||18.9||62.1||2,858||15.5||60.9||+1,523|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||2,626||11.3||11.7||1,705||9.2||10.6||+921|
|Certificate I and II Level||309||1.3||1.1||274||1.5||1.1||+35|
|Certificate III & IV Level||5,630||24.3||8.9||4,310||23.3||7.7||+1,320|
|Certificate Level, nfd||486||2.1||1.8||318||1.7||2.0||+168|
|Inadequately described or not stated||662||2.9||2.0||810||4.4||2.8||-148|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Cardinia Shire in 2016 compared to Education and Training shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 58.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 39.1% had no qualifications, compared with 85.7% and 12.3% respectively for Education and Training.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Cardinia Shire and Education and Training were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (18.9% compared to 62.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (39.1% compared to 12.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.3% compared to 8.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (2.9% compared to 2.0%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,523 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,320 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+921 local workers)
- No qualification (+855 local workers)