Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cardinia Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Arts and Recreation Services||Number||%||Arts and Recreation Services||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||4,381||18.9||17.7||2,858||15.5||8.5||+1,523|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||2,626||11.3||14.3||1,705||9.2||13.8||+921|
|Certificate I and II Level||309||1.3||2.3||274||1.5||2.5||+35|
|Certificate III & IV Level||5,630||24.3||18.5||4,310||23.3||21.6||+1,320|
|Certificate Level, nfd||486||2.1||0.8||318||1.7||0.9||+168|
|Inadequately described or not stated||662||2.9||1.8||810||4.4||4.7||-148|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Cardinia Shire in 2016 compared to Arts and Recreation Services shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 58.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 39.1% had no qualifications, compared with 53.6% and 44.5% respectively for Arts and Recreation Services.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Cardinia Shire and Arts and Recreation Services were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.3% compared to 18.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (39.1% compared to 44.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.3% compared to 14.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate Level, nfd (2.1% compared to 0.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,523 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,320 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+921 local workers)
- No qualification (+855 local workers)