In Cardinia Shire, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Casey-Cardinia Region.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cardinia Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Casey-Cardinia Region||Number||%||Casey-Cardinia Region||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||4,381||18.9||22.6||2,858||15.5||18.5||+1,523|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||2,626||11.3||12.0||1,705||9.2||9.8||+921|
|Certificate I and II Level||309||1.3||1.3||274||1.5||1.5||+35|
|Certificate III & IV Level||5,630||24.3||21.4||4,310||23.3||21.0||+1,320|
|Certificate Level, nfd||486||2.1||2.0||318||1.7||1.7||+168|
|Inadequately described or not stated||662||2.9||2.9||810||4.4||4.4||-148|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Cardinia Shire in 2016 compared to Casey-Cardinia Region shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 58.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 39.1% had no qualifications, compared with 59.3% and 37.8% respectively for Casey-Cardinia Region.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Cardinia Shire and Casey-Cardinia Region were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (18.9% compared to 22.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (24.3% compared to 21.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (39.1% compared to 37.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.3% compared to 12.0%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,523 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,320 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+921 local workers)
- No qualification (+855 local workers)