Local workers - Occupations - Manufacturing
Within Cardinia Shire, the Manufacturing workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to Victoria.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Cardinia Shire will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Cardinia Shire;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Cardinia Shire in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers occupations|
|Cardinia Shire - Manufacturing||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria %||Number||%||Victoria %||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||430||23.2||22.2||392||23.9||23.6||+38||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||25||1.3||1.0||22||1.3||0.8||+3||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||158||8.5||9.9||157||9.6||10.4||+1||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||190||10.3||13.6||148||9.0||15.4||+42||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||8||0.4||1.0||28||1.7||2.0||-20||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the Manufacturing workforce in Cardinia Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (554 local workers or 29.9%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (430 local workers or 23.2%)
- Managers (300 local workers or 16.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,284 people in total or 69.3% of the Manufacturing local workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 19.0% as Labourers; 22.2% as Technicians and Trades Workers; and 16.9% as Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the Manufacturing workforce in Cardinia Shire and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (29.9% compared to 19.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (4.1% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (10.3% compared to 13.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (8.5% compared to 9.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the Manufacturing in Cardinia Shire workforce between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Managers (+66 local workers)
- Labourers (+49 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+42 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+38 local workers)