Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Cardinia Shire will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Cardinia Shire;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Cardinia Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||3,664||15.8||13.1||3,072||16.6||13.8||+592|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||2,781||12.0||10.6||2,018||10.9||9.3||+763|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,671||11.5||13.3||2,221||12.0||14.4||+450|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,513||6.5||5.8||1,278||6.9||6.1||+235|
|Inadequately described or not stated||340||1.5||1.7||320||1.7||2.2||+20|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Cardinia Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (3,664 local workers or 15.8%)
- Professionals (3,413 local workers or 14.7%)
- Sales Workers (3,001 local workers or 13.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 10,078 people in total or 43.5% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 13.1% as Technicians and Trades Workers; 23.2% as Professionals and 9.7% as Sales Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Cardinia Shire and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (14.7% compared to 23.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (12.4% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (13.0% compared to 9.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (15.8% compared to 13.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Sales Workers (+851 local workers)
- Professionals (+796 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+763 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+592 local workers)