Local workers - Method of travel to work - Mining
Within Cardinia Shire, there is a lower proportion of local Mining workers using public transport to get to work than the Victoria workforce.
This data reveals the main modes of transport used by local workers in a particular industry to get to work. Workforce transport data for Cardinia Shire is very useful in transport planning as it informs decision-makers about the effectiveness and availability of public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work (For instance, industries located near railway stations are likely to have higher public transport use than those located away from main public transport routes);
- The number of motor vehicles available from within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Workers place of residence and resident place of work for a clearer picture of where people come from to work in Cardinia Shire, and Employment locations for the Destination Zones they work in and how they arrive there.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers method of travel to work|
|Cardinia Shire - Mining||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||86||92.5||60.6||58||82.9||55.7||+28|
|Car, as passenger||0||0||2.7||3||4.3||4.3||-3|
|Other - multiple methods||0||0||4.1||0||0||5.2||--|
|Worked at home||4||4.3||3.9||3||4.3||2.8||+1|
|Did not go to work||3||3.2||10.2||3||4.3||11.7||--|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 0 people in Mining who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in Cardinia Shire, compared with 86 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the Mining workforce in Cardinia Shire in 2016 compared to the Victoria workforce within Cardinia Shire shows that 0% used public transport, while 92.5% used a private vehicle, compared with 12.6% and 64.7% respectively in Victoria.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the Mining workforce in Cardinia Shire and the Victoria workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as driver (92.5% compared to 60.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by train (0% compared to 9.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who did not go to work (3.2% compared to 10.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by other - multiple methods (0% compared to 4.1%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the Mining workforce in Cardinia Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+28 local workers)
- Truck (-3 local workers)
- Car, as passenger (-3 local workers)
- Worked at home (+1 local workers)