City of Casey
Resident workers - Hours worked
40.1% of the resident workers in the City of Casey work 40 or more hours, compared to 42.4% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Casey's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Casey depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Casey||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||15,057||10.9||12.0||11,905||10.0||11.4||+3,152||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||12,701||9.2||10.5||10,448||8.7||9.7||+2,253||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||15,513||11.2||11.2||11,612||9.7||10.1||+3,901||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||32,315||23.4||18.7||26,703||22.3||17.6||+5,612||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||12,225||8.9||9.2||11,902||10.0||10.2||+323||22007|
|49 hours or more||15,242||11.1||13.7||15,225||12.7||15.2||+17||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Casey's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 34.3% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 63.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Casey and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (23.4% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (11.1% compared to 13.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.2% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.9% compared to 12.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Casey increased by 9,279 people (11.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Casey between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+5,612 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+3,901 people)
- 40 hours (+3,327 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+3,152 people)