Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Casey will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Casey;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Casey - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||8,897||13.9||13.1||8,194||15.0||13.8||+703|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||8,436||13.1||10.6||6,093||11.1||9.3||+2,343|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||7,501||11.7||13.3||6,962||12.7||14.4||+539|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,813||5.9||5.8||3,550||6.5||6.1||+263|
|Inadequately described or not stated||961||1.5||1.7||1,047||1.9||2.2||-86|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Casey in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (11,491 local workers or 17.9%)
- Sales Workers (9,486 local workers or 14.8%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (8,897 local workers or 13.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 29,874 people in total or 46.5% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.2% as Professionals; 9.7% as Sales Workers and 13.1% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Casey and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (17.9% compared to 23.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (14.8% compared to 9.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Managers (10.6% compared to 13.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (13.1% compared to 10.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Casey between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+2,343 local workers)
- Professionals (+2,049 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+1,770 local workers)
- Managers (+1,027 local workers)