Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Charles Sturt's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Charles Sturt||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||7,712||12.6||13.2||6,683||12.9||13.4||+1,029|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||7,514||12.2||13.0||6,036||11.7||12.0||+1,478|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||8,739||14.2||12.5||7,993||15.5||13.3||+746|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,237||5.3||6.0||2,899||5.6||6.1||+338|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,037||1.7||1.8||782||1.5||1.5||+255|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Charles Sturt in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (14,822 people or 24.2%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (8,739 people or 14.2%)
- Managers (7,891 people or 12.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 31,452 people in total or 51.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 21.5% in Professionals; 12.5% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 13.0% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Charles Sturt and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (24.2% compared to 21.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (8.3% compared to 10.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (14.2% compared to 12.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (12.2% compared to 13.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Charles Sturt increased by 9,630 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Charles Sturt were those employed as:
- Professionals (+3,537 persons)
- Managers (+1,765 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,478 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+1,029 persons)