Town of Claremont
About the area
ABS ERP 2017
The Town of Claremont was named after an original property in the area, which was named after Clara Charlotte Morrison (wife of an early land holder), and on account of the hilly nature of the area.
Location and boundaries
The Town of Claremont is located in Perth's inner western suburbs, about 9 kilometres from the Perth GPO. The Town of Claremont is bounded by the City of Nedlands in the north-west, north and east, the Swan River and the Shire of Peppermint Grove in the south, and the Town of Cottesloe in the south-west. The Town's boundaries are Narla Road and Alfred Road in the north, Brockway Road, Loch Street, the Stirling Highway, Bay Road, Princess Road, Bay Road, Melvista Avenue and Stone Road in the east, Raven Lane, the Swan River and Airlie Street in the south, and the Stirling Highway, Parry Street, the railway line and the West Coast Highway in the west.
The Town of Claremont includes most of the suburb of Claremont and part of the suburb of Swanbourne.
The Town of Claremont is a predominantly residential area, with some parklands and commercial land use. The Town encompasses a total land area of about 5 square kilometres.
The Town of Claremont is served by the Stirling Highway and the Perth-Fremantle railway line.
European settlement dates from 1831 when the first land grant was made. Population was minimal until the 1850s and 1860s, with land used mainly for farming and market gardening. Growth took place from the 1880s into the early 1900s, spurred by the opening of the Perth-Fremantle railway line in 1881. Expansion occurred during the 1920s and 1930s, with the population rising from about 4,200 in 1911 to about 5,900 in 1933. Growth continued during the post-war years, with the population rising to about 7,800 in 1947, and then to about 8,600 in 1961. During the 1960s growth slowed, and then declined, with the population rising to about 9,200 in 1971, and then falling to about 8,200 in 1981. Gradual growth took place during the 1980s, with the population increasing to about 8,800 in 1991. The population declined marginally during the 1990s, falling to about 8,600 in 2001. The population then increased gradually, rising to about 9,100 in 2011.
The original inhabitants of the Claremont area were the Nyungar Aboriginal people.