There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce in Coffs Harbour City than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Coffs Harbour City's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Coffs Harbour City or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Coffs Harbour City, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Coffs Harbour City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||368||1.2||0.3||297||1.1||0.3||+71|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||2,790||9.4||2.9||2,634||9.4||2.9||+156|
|Architecture and Building||1,583||5.3||1.3||1,474||5.3||1.6||+109|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||753||2.5||1.8||682||2.4||1.3||+71|
|Management and Commerce||3,887||13.1||11.0||3,389||12.1||10.1||+498|
|Society and Culture||2,489||8.4||4.1||1,977||7.1||3.6||+512|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,325||4.5||13.2||1,152||4.1||12.3||+173|
|Mixed Field Programmes||27||0.1||0.1||23||0.1||0.1||+4|
|Not stated or inadequately described||767||2.6||2.1||948||3.4||3.9||-181|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Coffs Harbour City shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (3,887 people or 13.1%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (2,790 people or 9.4%)
- Health (2,752 people or 9.3%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 9,429 people in total or 31.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, the Accommodation and Food Services workforce in Coffs Harbour City employed 11.0% in Management and Commerce; 2.9% in Engineering and Related Technologies and 2.0% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Coffs Harbour City and the Accommodation and Food Services workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (4.5% compared to 13.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (9.3% compared to 2.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (9.4% compared to 2.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (6.8% compared to 1.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Coffs Harbour City increased by 1,611 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Coffs Harbour City was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+512 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+498 resident workers)
- Health (+485 resident workers)
- Education (+266 resident workers)