Coffs Harbour City
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (Manufacturing) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in Coffs Harbour City than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Coffs Harbour City's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Coffs Harbour City or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Coffs Harbour City, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Coffs Harbour City||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||9||0.9||0.3||12||0.8||0.3||-3||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||271||26.3||2.9||377||26.0||2.9||-106||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||61||5.9||1.3||111||7.6||1.6||-50||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||19||1.8||1.8||29||2.0||1.3||-10||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||98||9.5||11.0||121||8.3||10.1||-23||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||20||1.9||4.1||23||1.6||3.6||-3||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||36||3.5||13.2||53||3.7||12.3||-17||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0.0||0.1||0||0.0||0.1||0||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||28||2.7||2.1||58||4.0||3.9||-30||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Coffs Harbour City shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Manufacturing) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (271 people or 26.3%)
- Management and Commerce (98 people or 9.5%)
- Architecture and Building (61 people or 5.9%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 430 people in total or 41.8% of the resident workers (Manufacturing).
In comparison, Accommodation and Food Services employed 2.9% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 11.0% in Management and Commerce; and 1.3% in Architecture and Building.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Manufacturing) of Coffs Harbour City and Accommodation and Food Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (26.3% compared to 2.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) qualified in Architecture and Building (5.9% compared to 1.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (3.5% compared to 13.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Manufacturing) qualified in Society and Culture (1.9% compared to 4.1%)
The number of resident workers (Manufacturing) in Coffs Harbour City decreased by 423 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Manufacturing) between 2011 and 2016 in Coffs Harbour City were for those qualified in:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (-106 people)
- Architecture and Building (-50 people)