Coffs Harbour City
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (Health Care and Social Assistance) qualified in Health in Coffs Harbour City than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Coffs Harbour City's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Coffs Harbour City or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Coffs Harbour City, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Coffs Harbour City||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||81||1.6||0.3||54||1.3||0.3||+27||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||80||1.6||2.9||83||1.9||2.9||-3||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||35||0.7||1.3||35||0.8||1.6||0||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||41||0.8||1.8||33||0.8||1.3||+8||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||478||9.5||11.0||379||8.8||10.1||+99||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||973||19.4||4.1||733||17.1||3.6||+240||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||115||2.3||13.2||70||1.6||12.3||+45||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0.0||0.1||0||0.0||0.1||0||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||96||1.9||2.1||121||2.8||3.9||-25||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Coffs Harbour City shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Health Care and Social Assistance) were qualified in were:
- Health (2,092 people or 41.7%)
- Society and Culture (973 people or 19.4%)
- Management and Commerce (478 people or 9.5%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 3,543 people in total or 70.7% of the resident workers (Health Care and Social Assistance).
In comparison, Accommodation and Food Services employed 2.0% in Health; 4.1% in Society and Culture; and 11.0% in Management and Commerce.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Health Care and Social Assistance) of Coffs Harbour City and Accommodation and Food Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Health Care and Social Assistance) qualified in Health (41.7% compared to 2.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Health Care and Social Assistance) qualified in Society and Culture (19.4% compared to 4.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Health Care and Social Assistance) qualified in Education (3.5% compared to 1.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Health Care and Social Assistance) qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (2.3% compared to 13.2%)
The number of resident workers (Health Care and Social Assistance) in Coffs Harbour City increased by 715 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Health Care and Social Assistance) between 2011 and 2016 in Coffs Harbour City were for those qualified in:
- Health (+350 people)
- Society and Culture (+240 people)
- Management and Commerce (+99 people)
- Education (+60 people)