Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Coffs Harbour City's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Coffs Harbour City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Coffs Harbour City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Coffs Harbour City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Coffs Harbour City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Mid-Coast NSW||Number||%||Mid-Coast NSW||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,554||5.2||5.3||1,001||3.3||4.8||+553|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||224||0.8||1.6||253||0.8||1.5||-29|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,826||9.5||9.2||2,794||9.2||8.0||+32|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,016||3.4||3.8||992||3.2||3.5||+24|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||283||1.0||0.8||339||1.1||0.8||-56|
|Financial and Insurance Services||488||1.6||1.4||611||2.0||1.4||-123|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||507||1.7||1.8||520||1.7||1.7||-13|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,322||4.5||3.6||1,282||4.2||3.2||+40|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,026||3.5||3.6||854||2.8||2.9||+172|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,782||6.0||4.3||1,724||5.6||4.1||+58|
|Education and Training||2,625||8.9||8.1||2,404||7.9||7.1||+221|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||5,016||16.9||17.3||4,289||14.1||14.2||+727|
|Arts and Recreation Services||432||1.5||1.2||411||1.3||1.4||+21|
|Industry not classified||1,113||3.8||3.9||566||1.9||2.1||+547|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Coffs Harbour City in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (5,016 people or 16.9%)
- Retail Trade (3,631 people or 12.3%)
- Construction (2,939 people or 9.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 11,586 people in total or 39.1% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Mid-Coast NSW employed 17.3% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 12.6% in Retail Trade and 9.5% in Construction.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Coffs Harbour City and Mid-Coast NSW were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (3.4% compared to 5.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (6.0% compared to 4.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services (0.8% compared to 1.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.5% compared to 3.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Coffs Harbour City were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+727 resident workforce)
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (+553 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+547 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-414 resident workforce)