There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the Cook Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Cook Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Cook Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Cook Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Cook Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||21||1.2||0||17||1.1||0||+4|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||208||12.2||0||189||11.8||0||+19|
|Architecture and Building||87||5.1||0||85||5.3||0||+2|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||87||5.1||0||61||3.8||0||+26|
|Management and Commerce||145||8.5||0||115||7.2||0||+30|
|Society and Culture||107||6.3||0||89||5.6||0||+18|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||69||4.1||0||61||3.8||0||+8|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0||0||0||0||0||--|
|Not stated or inadequately described||101||5.9||0||85||5.3||0||+16|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Cook Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (208 people or 12.2%)
- Management and Commerce (145 people or 8.5%)
- Health (129 people or 7.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 482 people in total or 28.4% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, the Financial and Insurance Services workforce in the Cook Shire employed 0% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 0% in Management and Commerce and 0% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the Cook Shire and the Financial and Insurance Services workforce were:
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Cook Shire increased by 103 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the Cook Shire was for those qualified in:
- Health (+34 resident workers)
- Education (+30 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+30 resident workers)
- Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (+26 resident workers)