Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the Cook Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Cook Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Cook Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Cook Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services%||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||21||1.2||0.0||17||1.1||0.0||+4||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||208||12.2||36.4||189||11.8||71.4||+19||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||87||5.1||0.0||85||5.3||0.0||+2||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||87||5.1||13.6||61||3.8||0.0||+26||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||145||8.5||0.0||115||7.2||0.0||+30||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||107||6.3||0.0||89||5.6||0.0||+18||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||69||4.1||0.0||61||3.8||0.0||+8||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0.0||0.0||0||0.0||0.0||0||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||101||5.9||0.0||85||5.3||0.0||+16||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Cook Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (208 people or 12.2%)
- Management and Commerce (145 people or 8.5%)
- Health (129 people or 7.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 482 people in total or 28.4% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services employed 36.4% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 0.0% in Management and Commerce; and 0.0% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of the Cook Shire and Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (8.5% compared to 0.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Health (7.6% compared to 0.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (12.2% compared to 36.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (5.1% compared to 13.6%)
The number of resident workers in the Cook Shire increased by 103 between 2011 and 2016.
There were no major changes in field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Cook Shire.