Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more female resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in the Cook Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Cook Shire's female resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Cook Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Cook Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Cook Shire - Females||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||9||1.2||1.7||4||0.6||1.5||+5||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||11||1.4||1.3||15||2.1||1.2||-4||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||3||0.4||0.7||3||0.4||0.6||0||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||24||3.1||0.9||11||1.5||0.8||+13||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||102||13.1||16.9||77||10.6||14.9||+25||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||76||9.7||11.2||67||9.2||9.4||+9||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||43||5.5||5.1||37||5.1||4.6||+6||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0.0||0.1||0||0.0||0.1||0||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||41||5.2||2.2||32||4.4||2.9||+9||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Cook Shire shows that the three largest fields the female resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (102 people or 13.1%)
- Health (101 people or 12.9%)
- Education (91 people or 11.7%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 294 people in total or 37.6% of the female resident workers .
In comparison, Queensland employed 16.9% in Management and Commerce; 12.0% in Health; and 9.0% in Education.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the female resident workers of the Cook Shire and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of female resident workers qualified in Education (11.7% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of female resident workers qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (3.1% compared to 0.9%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (13.1% compared to 16.9%)
- A smaller percentage of female resident workers qualified in Society and Culture (9.7% compared to 11.2%)
The number of female resident workers in the Cook Shire increased by 56 between 2011 and 2016.
There were no major changes in field of qualifications held by the female resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Cook Shire.