Resident workers - Hours worked
47.5% of the resident workers in the Cook Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 0.0% in Financial and Insurance Services.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Cook Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Cook Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services%||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||124||7.3||0.0||119||7.5||0.0||+5||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||123||7.2||100.0||110||7.0||0.0||+13||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||227||13.3||0.0||168||10.6||0.0||+59||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||298||17.4||0.0||277||17.5||50.0||+21||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||140||8.2||0.0||151||9.6||0.0||-11||22007|
|49 hours or more||411||24.0||0.0||415||26.3||0.0||-4||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Cook Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to Financial and Insurance Services shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 31.8% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 100.0% and 0.0% respectively for Financial and Insurance Services.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Cook Shire and Financial and Insurance Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (24.0% compared to 0.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.4% compared to 0.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.3% compared to 0.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (7.2% compared to 100.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Cook Shire increased by 54 people (5.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Cook Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+59 people)
- 40 hours (+48 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+21 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+13 people)