47.5% of the resident workers (All industries) in the Cook Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 0% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cook Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cook Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cook Shire Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services%||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||124||7.3||0||119||7.5||0||+5|
|16 hours - 24 hours||123||7.2||100.0||110||7.0||0||+13|
|25 hours - 34 hours||227||13.3||0||168||10.6||0||+59|
|35 hours - 39 hours||298||17.4||0||277||17.5||50.0||+21|
|41 hours - 48 hours||140||8.2||0||151||9.6||0||-11|
|49 hours or more||411||24.0||0||415||26.3||0||-4|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Cook Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to Financial and Insurance Services shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 31.8% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 100.0% and 0% respectively for Financial and Insurance Services.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the Cook Shire and the Financial and Insurance Services workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (7.2% compared to 100.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked Total [genders] (100.0% compared to 100.0%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Cook Shire increased by 54 people (5.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the Cook Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+59 persons)
- 40 hours (+48 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+21 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+13 persons)