47.5% of the resident workers (All industries) in the Cook Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 42.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cook Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cook Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cook Shire Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||124||7.3||4.4||119||7.5||10.8||+5|
|16 hours - 24 hours||123||7.2||7.9||110||7.0||4.2||+13|
|25 hours - 34 hours||227||13.3||18.7||168||10.6||13.9||+59|
|35 hours - 39 hours||298||17.4||21.2||277||17.5||16.9||+21|
|41 hours - 48 hours||140||8.2||5.4||151||9.6||7.8||-11|
|49 hours or more||411||24.0||10.3||415||26.3||12.7||-4|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Cook Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to Health Care and Social Assistance shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 31.8% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.5% and 63.5% respectively for Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the Cook Shire and the Health Care and Social Assistance workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.3% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.4% compared to 21.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.3% compared to 26.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (24.0% compared to 10.3%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Cook Shire increased by 54 people (5.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the Cook Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+59 persons)
- 40 hours (+48 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+21 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+13 persons)