Resident workers - Hours worked
47.5% of the resident workers in the Cook Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 48.7% in Other Services.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Cook Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Cook Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Other Services%||Number||%||Other Services%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||124||7.3||12.8||119||7.5||9.1||+5||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||123||7.2||6.4||110||7.0||9.1||+13||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||227||13.3||6.4||168||10.6||0.0||+59||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||298||17.4||21.8||277||17.5||27.3||+21||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||140||8.2||6.4||151||9.6||9.1||-11||22007|
|49 hours or more||411||24.0||16.7||415||26.3||24.2||-4||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Cook Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to Other Services shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 31.8% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 29.5% and 70.5% respectively for Other Services.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Cook Shire and Other Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (24.0% compared to 16.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (13.3% compared to 6.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.3% compared to 25.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (7.3% compared to 12.8%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Cook Shire increased by 54 people (5.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Cook Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+59 people)
- 40 hours (+48 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+21 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+13 people)