Resident workers - Hours worked
59.2% of the resident workers (Construction) in the Cook Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 64.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Cook Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Cook Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7||3.9||5.1||4||2.5||5.2||+3||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||11||6.1||5.1||12||7.4||5.3||-1||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||18||10.1||7.8||16||9.9||7.3||+2||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||20||11.2||14.0||12||7.4||11.5||+8||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||17||9.5||13.0||14||8.6||13.1||+3||22007|
|49 hours or more||62||34.6||26.8||63||38.9||30.0||-1||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Cook Shire's resident workers (Construction) in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 24.6% of the resident workers (Construction) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 70.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 20.6% and 78.2% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) of the Cook Shire and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 49 hours or more (34.6% compared to 26.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked Not stated (5.0% compared to 1.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 40 hours (15.1% compared to 24.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.5% compared to 13.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Construction) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Cook Shire increased by 10 people (8.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) in the Cook Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+8 people)
- Not stated (+6 people)
- None (-3 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+3 people)