Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing employs more of the Cook Shire's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Cook Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Cook Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Cook Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Cook Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||230||13.5||2.8||205||12.0||2.6||+25|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||20||1.2||1.1||22||1.3||1.1||-2|
|Accommodation and Food Services||201||11.8||7.3||207||12.2||6.5||-6|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||46||2.7||5.1||51||3.0||4.9||-5|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||4||0.2||1.2||4||0.2||1.2||--|
|Financial and Insurance Services||5||0.3||2.5||5||0.3||2.5||--|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||10||0.6||2.0||16||0.9||1.7||-6|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||41||2.4||6.3||21||1.2||6.1||+20|
|Administrative and Support Services||63||3.7||3.5||42||2.5||3.0||+21|
|Public Administration and Safety||177||10.4||6.6||224||13.2||6.3||-47|
|Education and Training||155||9.1||9.0||127||7.5||7.4||+28|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||198||11.6||13.0||169||9.9||11.2||+29|
|Arts and Recreation Services||48||2.8||1.6||39||2.3||1.3||+9|
|Industry not classified||91||5.3||4.3||68||4.0||2.2||+23|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Cook Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (230 people or 13.5%)
- Accommodation and Food Services (201 people or 11.8%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (198 people or 11.6%)
In combination these three industries employed 629 people in total or 36.9% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, the Queensland workforce in the Cook Shire employed 2.8% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 7.3% in Accommodation and Food Services and 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Cook Shire and the Queensland workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (13.5% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (1.0% compared to 6.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (11.8% compared to 7.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (2.4% compared to 6.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Cook Shire were for those employed in:
- Public Administration and Safety (-47 resident workforce)
- Other Services (+32 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+29 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+28 resident workforce)