There are more resident workers (All industries) Professionals in the Cook Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Cook Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||221||13.0||55.0||197||12.4||30.0||+24|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||203||11.9||0||176||11.1||0||+27|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||167||9.8||0||152||9.6||15.0||+15|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||141||8.3||20.0||134||8.4||25.0||+7|
|Inadequately described or not stated||33||1.9||0||44||2.8||0||-11|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Cook Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (304 people or 17.9%)
- Labourers (291 people or 17.1%)
- Managers (246 people or 14.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 841 people in total or 49.4% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, the Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services workforce in the Cook Shire employed 0% in Professionals; 25.0% in Labourers and 0% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Cook Shire and Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (13.0% compared to 55.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (8.3% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (17.1% compared to 25.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Cook Shire increased by 112 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Cook Shire were those employed as:
- Professionals (+55 persons)
- Managers (-33 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+27 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+24 persons)