Resident workers - Qualifications
60.5% of the resident workers in the Cook Shire have qualifications, compared to 47.6% for Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for the Cook Shire's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services%||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||293||17.2||0.0||235||14.8||0.0||+58||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||181||10.6||0.0||130||8.2||0.0||+51||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||47||2.8||0.0||26||1.6||0.0||+21||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||467||27.3||47.6||379||23.9||76.5||+88||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||45||2.6||0.0||26||1.6||0.0||+19||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||96||5.6||0.0||110||6.9||0.0||-14||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers in the Cook Shire in 2016 compared to Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services shows that there was a higher proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 60.5% of the resident workers held educational qualifications, and 33.9% had no qualifications, compared with 47.6% and 52.4% respectively for Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers of the Cook Shire and Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (17.2% compared to 0.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (10.6% compared to 0.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Certificate III & IV Levels (27.3% compared to 47.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with No qualifications (33.9% compared to 52.4%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers in the Cook Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualifications (-101 people )
- Certificate III & IV Levels (+88 people )
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+58 people )
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+51 people )