Resident workers - Qualifications
60.5% of the resident workers in the Cook Shire have qualifications, compared to 83.3% for Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for the Cook Shire's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Professional, Scientific and Technical Services%||Number||%||Professional, Scientific and Technical Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||293||17.2||55.6||235||14.8||34.6||+58||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||181||10.6||11.1||130||8.2||11.5||+51||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||47||2.8||0.0||26||1.6||0.0||+21||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||467||27.3||16.7||379||23.9||15.4||+88||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||45||2.6||0.0||26||1.6||0.0||+19||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||96||5.6||0.0||110||6.9||0.0||-14||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers in the Cook Shire in 2016 compared to Professional, Scientific and Technical Services shows that there was a lower proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 60.5% of the resident workers held educational qualifications, and 33.9% had no qualifications, compared with 83.3% and 16.7% respectively for Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers of the Cook Shire and Professional, Scientific and Technical Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers with No qualifications (33.9% compared to 16.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers with Certificate III & IV Levels (27.3% compared to 16.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers with Certificate I and II Levels (2.8% compared to 0.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (17.2% compared to 55.6%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers in the Cook Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualifications (-101 people )
- Certificate III & IV Levels (+88 people )
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+58 people )
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+51 people )