22.5% of All industries local workers in Cook Shire are employed part-time and 74.8% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Cook Shire across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Cook Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||145||5.1||3.3||118||4.8||3.2||+27|
|16 hours - 24 hours||144||5.0||8.6||167||6.8||6.8||-23|
|25 hours - 34 hours||234||8.2||19.5||232||9.5||12.3||+2|
|35 hours - 39 hours||323||11.3||22.4||441||18.0||25.6||-118|
|41 hours - 48 hours||730||25.5||5.2||452||18.4||8.2||+278|
|49 hours or more||763||26.6||9.5||566||23.1||11.9||+197|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in Cook Shire in 2016 compared to the Health Care and Social Assistance workforce within Cook Shire shows that there was a lower proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 22.5% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 74.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.2% and 62.4% respectively for the Health Care and Social Assistance workforce within Cook Shire.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in Cook Shire and the Health Care and Social Assistance workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (8.2% compared to 19.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (11.5% compared to 25.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 41 hours - 48 hours (25.5% compared to 5.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (26.6% compared to 9.5%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in Cook Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 41 hours - 48 hours (+278 local workers)
- 49 hours or more (+197 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-118 local workers)
- None (+30 local workers)