Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cook Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||426||14.8||25.1||327||13.3||21.5||+99|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||257||9.0||10.9||191||7.8||9.3||+66|
|Certificate I and II Level||49||1.7||1.3||68||2.8||1.5||-19|
|Certificate III & IV Level||973||33.9||23.0||663||27.0||21.6||+310|
|Certificate Level, nfd||66||2.3||2.0||44||1.8||1.7||+22|
|Inadequately described or not stated||147||5.1||2.7||142||5.8||3.8||+5|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Cook Shire in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a similar proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 61.7% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 33.2% had no qualifications, compared with 62.3% and 35.0% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Cook Shire and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (33.9% compared to 23.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (14.8% compared to 25.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (5.1% compared to 2.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (9.0% compared to 10.9%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Cook Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Certificate III & IV Level (+310 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+99 local workers)
- No qualification (-67 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+66 local workers)