In the Cook Shire, the workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to Financial and Insurance Services.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Cook Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||426||14.8||0||327||13.3||0||+99|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||257||9.0||0||191||7.8||0||+66|
|Certificate I and II Level||49||1.7||0||68||2.8||0||-19|
|Certificate III & IV Level||973||33.9||55.6||663||27.0||50.0||+310|
|Certificate Level, nfd||66||2.3||0||44||1.8||0||+22|
|Inadequately described or not stated||147||5.1||0||142||5.8||0||+5|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Cook Shire in 2016 compared to Financial and Insurance Services shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 61.7% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 33.2% had no qualifications, compared with 55.6% and 44.4% respectively for Financial and Insurance Services.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the Cook Shire and Financial and Insurance Services were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (33.9% compared to 55.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (33.2% compared to 44.4%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the Cook Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Certificate III & IV Level (+310 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+99 local workers)
- No qualification (-67 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+66 local workers)