West Coast Council area
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in West Coast Council area than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among West Coast Council area's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in West Coast Council area or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of West Coast Council area, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|West Coast Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||24||1.6||2.0||28||1.4||1.8||-4||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||290||19.1||10.1||367||18.3||10.3||-77||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||51||3.4||4.7||75||3.7||4.5||-24||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||23||1.5||2.4||23||1.1||2.2||0||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||108||7.1||11.1||128||6.4||10.1||-20||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||64||4.2||8.7||68||3.4||7.3||-4||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||77||5.1||4.3||78||3.9||3.9||-1||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0.0||0.1||0||0.0||0.0||0||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||47||3.1||2.9||78||3.9||3.5||-31||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in West Coast Council area shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (290 people or 19.1%)
- Management and Commerce (108 people or 7.1%)
- Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (77 people or 5.1%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 475 people in total or 31.3% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Tasmania employed 10.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 11.1% in Management and Commerce; and 4.3% in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of West Coast Council area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (19.1% compared to 10.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Society and Culture (4.2% compared to 8.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (7.1% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Health (4.0% compared to 7.5%)
The number of resident workers in West Coast Council area decreased by 490 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in West Coast Council area was for those qualified in:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (-77 people)