Cradle Coast Region
Resident workers - Hours worked
38.4% of the resident workers in the Cradle Coast Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 22.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Cradle Coast Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Cradle Coast Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cradle Coast Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||5,856||13.2||11.5||5,602||12.2||12.1||+254||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||4,908||11.1||17.0||4,678||10.2||17.6||+230||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||5,681||12.8||24.1||5,174||11.3||21.5||+507||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||7,916||17.8||17.9||7,792||17.0||17.4||+124||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,074||9.2||4.6||4,741||10.3||5.5||-667||22007|
|49 hours or more||6,403||14.4||7.1||7,194||15.7||7.6||-791||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Cradle Coast Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to Health Care and Social Assistance shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 41.8% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 56.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 58.8% and 40.1% respectively for Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Cradle Coast Region and Health Care and Social Assistance were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.4% compared to 7.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.2% compared to 4.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.8% compared to 24.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.1% compared to 17.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Cradle Coast Region decreased by 2,129 people (7.9%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Cradle Coast Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-795 people)
- 49 hours or more (-791 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-667 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+507 people)