36.3% of the resident workers (All industries) in the Burnie City work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Burnie City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Burnie City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cradle Coast Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,048||13.7||13.2||956||12.0||12.5||+92|
|16 hours - 24 hours||820||10.7||11.1||779||9.7||10.7||+41|
|25 hours - 34 hours||999||13.0||13.3||886||11.1||11.9||+113|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,542||20.1||19.7||1,554||19.4||19.2||-12|
|41 hours - 48 hours||669||8.7||8.7||812||10.2||9.5||-143|
|49 hours or more||1,008||13.2||12.5||1,205||15.1||13.2||-197|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Burnie City's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.4% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 56.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.7% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the Burnie City and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.7% compared to 13.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.1% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.5% compared to 15.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (13.2% compared to 12.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Burnie City decreased by 539 people (-4.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the Burnie City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-197 persons)
- 40 hours (-187 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-143 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+113 persons)