King Island Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
49.5% of the resident workers in King Island Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Tasmania.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for King Island Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in King Island Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|King Island Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||84||10.4||13.2||66||7.7||12.5||+18||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||64||8.0||11.1||70||8.2||10.7||-6||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||89||11.1||13.3||101||11.8||11.9||-12||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||111||13.8||19.7||119||13.9||19.2||-8||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||81||10.1||8.7||82||9.6||9.5||-1||22007|
|49 hours or more||169||21.0||12.5||171||20.0||13.2||-2||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by King Island Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.4% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 63.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.0% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of King Island Council area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (21.0% compared to 12.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (18.4% compared to 15.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (13.8% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.0% compared to 11.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in King Island Council area decreased by 41 people (7.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in King Island Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-30 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+18 people)
- Not stated (-15 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (-12 people)