Waratah-Wynyard Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
38.3% of the resident workers in Waratah-Wynyard Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Tasmania.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Waratah-Wynyard Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Waratah-Wynyard Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Waratah-Wynyard Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||725||13.6||13.2||750||13.2||12.5||-25||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||626||11.7||11.1||563||9.9||10.7||+63||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||665||12.4||13.3||638||11.3||11.9||+27||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||948||17.7||19.7||930||16.4||19.2||+18||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||480||9.0||8.7||557||9.8||9.5||-77||22007|
|49 hours or more||813||15.2||12.5||942||16.6||13.2||-129||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Waratah-Wynyard Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a similar proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) as well as a similar proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 41.9% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 56.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.0% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Waratah-Wynyard Council area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (15.2% compared to 12.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.7% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.1% compared to 15.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.4% compared to 13.3%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Waratah-Wynyard Council area decreased by 299 people (9.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Waratah-Wynyard Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-129 people)
- 40 hours (-111 people)
- None (-78 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-77 people)