46.7% of the resident workers (All industries) in the West Coast Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for West Coast Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in West Coast Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cradle Coast Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||207||13.6||13.2||226||11.3||12.5||-19|
|16 hours - 24 hours||153||10.1||11.1||150||7.5||10.7||+3|
|25 hours - 34 hours||153||10.1||13.3||168||8.4||11.9||-15|
|35 hours - 39 hours||182||12.0||19.7||184||9.2||19.2||-2|
|41 hours - 48 hours||173||11.4||8.7||263||13.1||9.5||-90|
|49 hours or more||370||24.3||12.5||598||29.8||13.2||-228|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the West Coast Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.7% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 58.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.7% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the West Coast Council area and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (10.1% compared to 13.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (12.0% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (11.0% compared to 15.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (24.3% compared to 12.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the West Coast Council area decreased by 406 people (-24.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the West Coast Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-228 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-90 persons)
- 40 hours (-86 persons)
- None (-34 persons)