37.4% of the resident workers (All industries) in the Coastal Urban Economic Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Coastal Urban Economic Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Coastal Urban Economic Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cradle Coast Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||4,817||13.4||13.2||4,592||12.5||12.5||+225|
|16 hours - 24 hours||4,013||11.2||11.1||3,848||10.4||10.7||+165|
|25 hours - 34 hours||4,709||13.1||13.3||4,201||11.4||11.9||+508|
|35 hours - 39 hours||6,661||18.5||19.7||6,464||17.5||19.2||+197|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,278||9.1||8.7||3,834||10.4||9.5||-556|
|49 hours or more||4,803||13.4||12.5||5,359||14.5||13.2||-556|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Coastal Urban Economic Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.6% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 55.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.7% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the Coastal Urban Economic Region and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (18.5% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.0% compared to 15.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.1% compared to 8.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (13.4% compared to 12.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Coastal Urban Economic Region decreased by 1502 people (-2.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the Coastal Urban Economic Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-587 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-556 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-556 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+508 persons)