Murchison - Burnie Economic Region
Resident workers - Hours worked
39.6% of the resident workers in Murchison - Burnie Economic Region work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Tasmania.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Murchison - Burnie Economic Region's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Murchison - Burnie Economic Region depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Murchison - Burnie Economic Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,471||13.1||13.2||2,400||11.9||12.5||+71||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,044||10.8||11.1||1,916||9.5||10.7||+128||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||2,315||12.2||13.3||2,202||10.9||11.9||+113||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||3,373||17.8||19.7||3,403||16.9||19.2||-30||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,734||9.2||8.7||2,047||10.1||9.5||-313||22007|
|49 hours or more||3,042||16.1||12.5||3,613||17.9||13.2||-571||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Murchison - Burnie Economic Region's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 40.7% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 57.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.0% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Murchison - Burnie Economic Region and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (16.1% compared to 12.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.8% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.3% compared to 15.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.2% compared to 13.3%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Murchison - Burnie Economic Region decreased by 1,339 people (11.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Murchison - Burnie Economic Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-571 people)
- 40 hours (-425 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-313 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+128 people)