Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of the Cradle Coast Region's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Cradle Coast Region residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Cradle Coast Region, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Cradle Coast Region are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Cradle Coast Region - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||3,712||8.4||5.3||3,029||6.2||4.5||+683|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||501||1.1||1.6||502||1.0||1.6||-1|
|Accommodation and Food Services||3,181||7.2||7.6||3,203||6.5||6.8||-22|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,442||5.5||4.2||2,489||5.1||4.0||-47|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||266||0.6||1.4||304||0.6||1.4||-38|
|Financial and Insurance Services||528||1.2||2.1||648||1.3||2.3||-120|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||473||1.1||1.2||491||1.0||1.2||-18|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,355||3.1||4.7||1,372||2.8||4.4||-17|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,456||3.3||3.0||1,416||2.9||2.5||+40|
|Public Administration and Safety||2,223||5.0||7.8||2,712||5.5||8.4||-489|
|Education and Training||3,586||8.1||9.3||3,636||7.4||8.4||-50|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||5,812||13.1||14.2||4,974||10.1||11.2||+838|
|Arts and Recreation Services||437||1.0||1.9||303||0.6||1.5||+134|
|Industry not classified||1,609||3.6||3.4||702||1.4||1.8||+907|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Cradle Coast Region in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (5,812 people or 13.1%)
- Retail Trade (4,916 people or 11.1%)
- Manufacturing (4,207 people or 9.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 14,935 people in total or 33.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Tasmania employed 14.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.9% in Retail Trade and 6.9% in Manufacturing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Cradle Coast Region and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (8.4% compared to 5.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (5.0% compared to 7.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (9.5% compared to 6.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (3.1% compared to 1.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Cradle Coast Region were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-1,373 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+907 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+838 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-703 resident workforce)