Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of the Waratah-Wynyard Council area's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Waratah-Wynyard Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Waratah-Wynyard Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Waratah-Wynyard Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Waratah-Wynyard Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||468||8.8||5.3||382||6.3||4.5||+86|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||37||0.7||1.6||49||0.8||1.6||-12|
|Accommodation and Food Services||294||5.5||7.6||306||5.0||6.8||-12|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||253||4.7||4.2||256||4.2||4.0||-3|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||23||0.4||1.4||39||0.6||1.4||-16|
|Financial and Insurance Services||65||1.2||2.1||76||1.2||2.3||-11|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||50||0.9||1.2||63||1.0||1.2||-13|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||161||3.0||4.7||164||2.7||4.4||-3|
|Administrative and Support Services||190||3.6||3.0||178||2.9||2.5||+12|
|Public Administration and Safety||266||5.0||7.8||355||5.8||8.4||-89|
|Education and Training||461||8.6||9.3||483||7.9||8.4||-22|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||770||14.4||14.2||702||11.5||11.2||+68|
|Arts and Recreation Services||37||0.7||1.9||23||0.4||1.5||+14|
|Industry not classified||218||4.1||3.4||85||1.4||1.8||+133|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Waratah-Wynyard Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (770 people or 14.4%)
- Retail Trade (584 people or 10.9%)
- Manufacturing (474 people or 8.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 1,828 people in total or 34.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Tasmania employed 14.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.9% in Retail Trade and 6.9% in Manufacturing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Waratah-Wynyard Council area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (4.6% compared to 1.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (8.8% compared to 5.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (5.0% compared to 7.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (5.5% compared to 7.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Waratah-Wynyard Council area were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-187 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+133 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-116 resident workforce)
- Public Administration and Safety (-89 resident workforce)