Coastal Urban Economic Region
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Coastal Urban Economic Region’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Coastal Urban Economic Region residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Coastal Urban Economic Region, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Coastal Urban Economic Region are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Coastal Urban Economic Region||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Greater Hobart%||Number||%||Greater Hobart%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||2,250||6.3||1.9||1,903||5.2||1.6||+347||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||405||1.1||2.0||400||1.1||2.1||+5||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,457||6.8||7.8||2,379||6.5||7.1||+78||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,057||5.7||3.5||2,057||5.6||3.5||0||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||241||0.7||1.9||290||0.8||2.1||-49||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||466||1.3||2.5||565||1.5||2.8||-99||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||414||1.2||1.3||427||1.2||1.4||-13||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,180||3.3||6.0||1,200||3.3||6.2||-20||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,217||3.4||2.9||1,218||3.3||2.5||-1||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,871||5.2||10.7||2,302||6.3||12.2||-431||39000||P|
|Education and Training||3,012||8.4||10.1||3,079||8.4||9.6||-67||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||5,143||14.3||14.8||4,389||11.9||12.8||+754||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||337||0.9||2.3||248||0.7||2.1||+89||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||1,334||3.7||3.0||578||1.6||1.9||+756||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Coastal Urban Economic Region in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (5,143 people or 14.3%)
- Retail Trade (4,269 people or 11.9%)
- Manufacturing (3,221 people or 9.0%)
In combination these three industries employed 12,633 people in total or 35.1% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Greater Hobart employed 14.8% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.8% in Retail Trade; and 5.2% in Manufacturing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Coastal Urban Economic Region and Greater Hobart were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (6.3% compared to 1.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (9.0% compared to 5.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (5.2% compared to 10.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.3% compared to 6.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Coastal Urban Economic Region were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-1,101 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+756 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+754 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-599 resident workforce)