55.9% of the resident workers (All industries) in the Cradle Coast Region have qualifications, compared to 52.9% for Murchison Area.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for the Cradle Coast Region's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income , Occupations and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of the Cradle Coast Region's local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Cradle Coast Region - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Murchison Area||Number||%||Murchison Area||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||6,170||13.9||12.0||5,666||12.4||10.7||+504|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||3,952||8.9||8.3||3,403||7.4||6.6||+549|
|Certificate I and II Level||937||2.1||2.1||953||2.1||1.9||-16|
|Certificate III & IV Level||12,598||28.4||28.0||12,389||27.0||26.1||+209|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,137||2.6||2.6||685||1.5||1.4||+452|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,442||3.3||3.8||1,953||4.3||4.5||-511|
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers (All industries) in the Cradle Coast Region in 2016 compared to Murchison Area shows that there was a higher proportion of resident holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of males with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 55.9% of the resident workers (All industries) held educational qualifications, and 40.8% had no qualifications, compared with 52.9% and 43.3% respectively for Murchison Area.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Cradle Coast Region and (Murchison Area) were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) with No qualification (40.8% compared to 43.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) with Bachelor or Higher degree (13.9% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (8.9% compared to 8.3%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) in the Cradle Coast Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-2,663 persons)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+549 persons)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+504 persons)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+452 persons)