Coastal Urban Economic Region
Local workers - Hours worked - All industries
42.7% of All industries local workers in the Coastal Urban Economic Region are employed part-time and 55.5% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the Coastal Urban Economic Region across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Coastal Urban Economic Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||4,662||13.4||13.3||4,456||12.5||12.6||+206|
|16 hours - 24 hours||3,972||11.4||11.2||3,786||10.6||10.9||+186|
|25 hours - 34 hours||4,633||13.3||13.3||4,162||11.7||12.1||+471|
|35 hours - 39 hours||6,582||18.9||19.7||6,469||18.2||19.4||+113|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,086||8.9||8.7||3,594||10.1||9.7||-508|
|49 hours or more||4,441||12.8||12.3||4,877||13.7||13.1||-436|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in the Coastal Urban Economic Region in 2016 compared to Tasmania within the Coastal Urban Economic Region shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 42.7% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 55.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.1% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania within the Coastal Urban Economic Region.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in the Coastal Urban Economic Region and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.4% compared to 11.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (18.9% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (14.9% compared to 15.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (12.8% compared to 12.3%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in the Coastal Urban Economic Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-644 local workers)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-508 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+471 local workers)
- 49 hours or more (-436 local workers)