Cradle Coast Region
Local workers - Occupations - Retail Trade
Within the Cradle Coast Region, the Retail Trade workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to Tasmania.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local worers in Cradle Coast Region will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Cradle Coast Region;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 – by place of work
Please note: Currently only 2016 data are available for work destination. 2011 data are not comparable due to a change in methodology in 2016 which “imputed” a work destination to those workers who didn’t state their work destination. This means comparisons with earlier years should not be made. .id are currently sourcing data collected under the same methodology in 2011 which will be added to this page at a later date. For a detailed case study of this issue please visit our blog post.
|Local workers occupations|
|Cradle Coast Region - Retail Trade||2016|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania %|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||305||6.3||6.2||0||--||--||+305||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||25||0.5||0.7||0||--||--||+25||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||272||5.6||6.4||0||--||--||+272||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||145||3.0||3.4||0||--||--||+145||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||28||0.6||0.5||0||--||--||+28||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id, the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the Retail Trade in Cradle Coast Region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Sales Workers (2,894 local workers or 59.5%)
- Managers (643 local workers or 13.2%)
- Labourers (446 local workers or 9.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 3,983 people in total or 81.9% of the Retail Trade local workers .
In comparison, Tasmania employed 56.5% as Sales Workers; 14.3% as Managers; and 8.7% as Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the Retail Trade in the Cradle Coast Region and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (59.5% compared to 56.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (2.2% compared to 3.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Managers (13.2% compared to 14.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the Retail Trade in the Cradle Coast Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Sales Workers (+2,894 local workers)
- Managers (+643 local workers)
- Labourers (+446 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+305 local workers)