West Coast Council area
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within West Coast Council area, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to Tasmania.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local worers in Cradle Coast Region will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Cradle Coast Region;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 – by place of work
Please note: Currently only 2016 data are available for work destination. 2011 data are not comparable due to a change in methodology in 2016 which “imputed” a work destination to those workers who didn’t state their work destination. This means comparisons with earlier years should not be made. .id are currently sourcing data collected under the same methodology in 2011 which will be added to this page at a later date. For a detailed case study of this issue please visit our blog post.
|Local workers occupations|
|West Coast Council area - All industries||2016|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania %|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||385||20.1||13.9||0||--||--||+385||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||171||8.9||12.4||0||--||--||+171||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||139||7.3||13.0||0||--||--||+139||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||359||18.7||6.3||0||--||--||+359||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||44||2.3||1.7||0||--||--||+44||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id, the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the in West Coast Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (385 local workers or 20.1%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (359 local workers or 18.7%)
- Labourers (273 local workers or 14.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,017 people in total or 53.0% of the local workers .
In comparison, Tasmania employed 13.9% as Technicians and Trades Workers; 6.3% as Machinery Operators And Drivers; and 11.7% as Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the in West Coast Council area and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (18.7% compared to 6.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (20.1% compared to 13.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (11.4% compared to 18.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (7.3% compared to 13.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in West Coast Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+385 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+359 local workers)
- Labourers (+273 local workers)
- Professionals (+219 local workers)