Cradle Coast Region
Local workers - Method of travel to work - All industries
This data reveals the main modes of transport used by local workers in a particular industry to get to work. Workforce transport data for the Cradle Coast Region is very useful in transport planning as it informs decision-makers about the effectiveness and availability of public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work (For instance, industries located near railway stations are likely to have higher public transport use than those located away from main public transport routes);
- The number of motor vehicles available from within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Workers place of residence and resident place of work for a clearer picture of where people come from to work in the Cradle Coast Region, and Employment locations for the Destination Zones they work in and how they arrive there.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers method of travel to work|
|Cradle Coast Region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services%||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||29,365||69.3||81.9||29,274||66.6||78.2||+91|
|Car, as passenger||2,225||5.2||1.8||2,712||6.2||4.8||-487|
|Other - multiple methods||487||1.1||0||569||1.3||0.7||-82|
|Worked at home||2,072||4.9||7.2||2,124||4.8||4.3||-52|
|Did not go to work||5,004||11.8||9.0||5,218||11.9||9.1||-214|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 333 people who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in the Cradle Coast Region, compared with 32,159 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work in the Cradle Coast Region in 2016 compared to the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workforce within the Cradle Coast Region shows that 0.8% used public transport, while 75.8% used a private vehicle, compared with 0% and 83.7% respectively in the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workforce within the Cradle Coast Region.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the workforce in the Cradle Coast Region and the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as driver (69.3% compared to 81.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who walked only (3.9% compared to 0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as passenger (5.2% compared to 1.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who did not go to work (11.8% compared to 9.0%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the workforce in the Cradle Coast Region between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as passenger (-487 local workers)
- Walked only (-406 local workers)
- Did not go to work (-214 local workers)
- Bus (-111 local workers)