City of Darebin
Employment by industry (FTE)
In the City of Darebin, Education and Training is the largest employer, generating 6,591 FTE jobs in 2017/18.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in the City of Darebin.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of City of Darebin's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
NOTE: FTE employment is derived from Census data but has been corrected for the known undercount of employment in the Census. Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|City of Darebin||2017/18||2005/06||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2005/06 to 2017/18|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||190||0.4||3.5||67||0.2||3.4||+123||23000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||241||0.5||1.3||69||0.2||1.1||+172||23300||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,998||6.2||5.7||1,990||4.5||5.1||+1,007||23700||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,887||3.9||5.6||1,912||4.3||5.4||-25||23800||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||563||1.2||2.2||815||1.9||2.8||-252||23900||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||802||1.7||3.9||792||1.8||4.3||+11||24000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||790||1.6||1.7||590||1.3||1.6||+200||24100||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,963||6.1||9.6||1,911||4.3||7.9||+1,052||24200||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,314||2.7||2.9||1,263||2.9||3.4||+50||24300||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||2,801||5.8||5.0||2,144||4.9||4.9||+657||24400||P|
|Education and Training||6,591||13.6||7.9||5,091||11.6||7.0||+1,501||24500||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||5,964||12.3||11.2||3,958||9.0||9.1||+2,006||24600||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||764||1.6||1.6||579||1.3||1.6||+186||24700||P|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) (opens a new window) ©2018. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures.Learn more
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in City of Darebin in 2017/18 shows the three largest industries were:
- Education and Training (6,591 full-time equivalent local workers or 13.6%)
- Retail Trade (6,019 full-time equivalent local workers or 12.4%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (5,964 full-time equivalent local workers or 12.3%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 18,574 people in total or 38.3% of local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 7.9% in Education and Training; 9.3% in Retail Trade; and 11.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of the City of Darebin and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Education and Training (13.6% compared to 7.9%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Retail Trade (12.4% compared to 9.3%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (6.1% compared to 9.6%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.4% compared to 3.5%)
The number of local workers in the full-time equivalent work in the City of Darebin increased by 4,506 between 2005/06 and 2017/18.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2005/06 and 2017/18 in the City of Darebin were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-2,879 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+2,006 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Education and Training (+1,501 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+1,052 full-time equivalent local workers)