City of Darebin
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in the City of Darebin than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Darebin's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Darebin or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Darebin, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Darebin||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Education and Training%||Number||%||Education and Training%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||2,516||3.6||6.4||2,098||3.3||5.9||+418||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||5,375||7.6||2.1||5,196||8.1||2.3||+179||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||2,711||3.9||0.9||2,141||3.4||0.9||+570||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||804||1.1||1.1||643||1.0||0.9||+161||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||10,566||15.0||8.7||8,610||13.5||7.7||+1,956||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||8,490||12.1||15.9||6,975||10.9||15.3||+1,515||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||2,342||3.3||1.1||2,342||3.7||0.9||0||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||64||0.1||0.1||36||0.1||0.1||+28||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||2,270||3.2||3.0||2,727||4.3||3.5||-457||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Darebin shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (10,566 people or 15.0%)
- Society and Culture (8,490 people or 12.1%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (5,375 people or 7.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 24,431 people in total or 34.7% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Education and Training employed 8.7% in Management and Commerce; 15.9% in Society and Culture; and 2.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of the City of Darebin and Education and Training were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (15.0% compared to 8.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (7.6% compared to 2.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Education (5.8% compared to 36.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Society and Culture (12.1% compared to 15.9%)
The number of resident workers in the City of Darebin increased by 6,484 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Darebin were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+1,956 people)
- Society and Culture (+1,515 people)
- Creative Arts (+1,308 people)
- Health (+1,082 people)